201 E. 6th St.
PO Box 426
Newton, KS 67114
Kelly McElroy has served as City Manager since January 2020. She came to Newton from the City of Goddard, where she was director of community development/zoning administrator. She previously served as executive director of the Regional Economic Area Partnership (REAP) and as director of administrative services for the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas. Before that, she worked for the City of Edmond, Oklahoma.
McElroy is a Kansas native and a graduate of the Certified Public Manager Program at the University of Kansas. She has a Masters of Public Administration from the University of Phoenix and a bachelor’s degree from the University of Central Oklahoma.
The City Manager's role is to ensure that the policy direction set by the City Commission is implemented and that the City’s delivery of public services is provided in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Among the manager’s duties:
- Carrying out Commission policies and goals
- Ensuring effective and efficient delivery of City services
- Preparing and monitoring the annual budget
- Directing day-to-day operations of the City
- Attending City Commission meetings
- Recommending policies/programs to the City Commission
- Hiring and firing personnel
- Keeping the City Commission fully advised of the financial and other conditions of the City
- Supplying the City Commission with information to aid decision-making
- Serving as the City representative in various arenas