The Sanitation Division is the exclusive provider of residential recycling collection services in the Newton community. The voluntary service features curbside single-stream recycling to make it easy to participate.
All designated recyclable materials go into one roll-out cart that we provide. Use the cart to store your recycled materials in any convenient place behind the front line of your home. Recycling is collected at the curb on a weekly schedule on the same day as trash collection. When setting out for pickup, be sure to leave at least 3 feet of space between your carts for automated loading.
If you generate more recyclable material than the cart will hold, please continue to separate your recyclables into plastic bags and set them out near your recycle cart on collection day. You may also check with us for cart sizing options if you routinely exceed your storage capacity.
If you move, please leave your City-issued containers behind in a visible location so we can pick them up and prepare them for re-issue.
What to recycle
Aluminum & steel food & beverage containers
- Glass food & beverage containers
- Plastic containers - food & beverage, soap & lotion, household cleaners
- Pasteboard & mixed paper
- Corrugated cardboard
If you choose to recycle, it’s essential that you Recycle Right. Only the items listed above are accepted by the recycling contractor. Any trash items placed in your recycle cart will contaminate the load. Repeat violations are subject to fines or being removed from the program.
Do not include:
- Aluminum or steel items that are not food or beverage containers.
- Plastic items that are not bottles, jugs or jars (plastic bags, toys).
- Motor oil containers, pesticide or herbicide containers.
- Styrofoam packaging or peanuts.
- Light bulbs, mirrors, window glass or dinnerware.
- Wax-coated cardboard, wax paper or waxed containers (milk cartons, drink boxes).
- Take-out pizza boxes, soiled newspapers or other contaminated paper items.
- Shredded paper. Bag it in your trash cart.
- Coffee filters, tea bags & candy wrappers.
- Tissues, napkins, towels, plates & cups.
Do not bag recyclables. Leave them loose in the cart.
Rinse, then recycle. Remove all food residue from cans, bottles and jars.
Plastic caps and can lids can be recycled.
Leave labels on.
Recycle only clean paper and cardboard. No soiled or grease-stained material can be accepted.
Protect your identity. Documents containing information that could be used to identify you are not required to be recycled.
Scavenging recyclables is against the law. Report offenders to 911 or the Sanitation Division.